Friday, July 17, 2009

"new" sink and first deliveries

Yesterday was a very rushed, but productive day. Paul and I picked up a concrete sink from Don's house and brought it to Grassroots where we cut a hole in the white harvesting table and dropped the sink in it with a smaller table to support it underneath. It maybe sounds easy but I can promise you it was not. The sink had to be approaching 400 lbs. However, it worked out ok and now we have a sink WITH a counter. Kinda like a kitchen on the field.

The first deliveries of parsley, kale, and spearmint to the co-op and garlic scapes and kale to the New Scenic Cafe' were soaked in the new sink and delivered that afternoon. I didn't really talk to anyone at the Scenic,(just put it in their cooler and left the invoice on a clipboard) but I did talk with the receiver at the co-op and he was very impressed with the produce. Good work everyone.

As for the rest of the week the tomatoes definitely need to be trellised again and weeding weeding weeding. The quackgrass is trying to overrun the farm again. Unfortunately, we may have to run the roto-tiller through again when it dries up a little. I say unfortunately because every time we use the tiller we break up our aggregate matter and that results in the hard-pan we are starting to see on the field. However, the quackgrass is rampant and must be dealt with. Jennifer, the lady that is loaning the tiller, suggested we roto-tilled first and than wheel hoed religiously afterwards to keep the weeds down.

Once again, good work everyone. The deliveries were beautiful and as Jahn the assistant manager of the co-op produce section commented, "I would pay cash money for that (kale)."

Have a great weekend and if there is time, try to spray out the gunk in that watering tank by the garage so we can start using it!

No comments: